Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Four weeks into Taiwan

After staying in Taipei for the past four weeks, there are a few things I would like to note. These things are mainly likes, and dislikes thus far that I've experienced.


To begin, let's start with the dislikes:


Mosquitoes - My number one fear at the moment. They've terrorized me to a point where I'm just paranoid every night before sleeping. Currently, on my right arm alone, I have 10 bites. I've begun to lose count. New ones just pop up when I wake up. I've decided to take on counter measures. I've installed an anti-mosquito repellent. It's a scent that's supposed to ward off mosquitoes. We'll see how well that works. I'm also going to be purchasing an electric shock lamp that attracts mosquitoes, but kills them when they touch it. My last resort will be a net that I'll sleep in. It looks like a tent, but instead, made with a net like material. That way, I'll just zip myself up and keep the mosquitoes out while I fall asleep comfortably.

Air quality - The air in Taipei is thick and smoggy, mainly due to the thousands of scooters in any given area buzzing around traffic. Add cars, buses, and factories, and you'll have thicker smog than LA. 

Blue Skies? - I haven't seen much of it, but I know it exists in Taipei City. The skies are dull and gray for the most part, which make me feel dull at times. There's something about the power of the Sun that makes me feel more vibrant about everything. The weather conditions have been wet thus far, but when it's actually dry and sunny, the humidity and heat waves from the sun make me lazy and tired.

Cold hot cold hot cold hot - On the streets, it's hot, but once you step into a big building or restaurant, you'll get cold again from the blasting A/C. I think I've gotten sick because of this. Basically, you'll be walking around sweating outdoors, and then you'll go into a mall with blasting a/c. A few moments into it, and you'll feel like a walking popsicle.

Scammers - Just like in any country, you'll find your scammers operating. The scammers that I've experienced here scam through your cellular service. They'll call you, hang up, and wait for you to call them back. From what my room mate told me, never call back a strange missed call. What they do, is re-route your call to China, and you get charged up the ass while the scammer reaps the benefit of providing the business of calling internationally. I have no idea how this works, or even how much money the scammer even makes, but a scam is a scam none the less.

Drivers - They're reckless here. People die here everyday in scooter accidents because drivers are driving drunk. The scooter riders here are reckless too, weaving in and out of traffic. Every time I'm riding around in a scooter, it feels like the 50cc version of MotoGP. Everyone is out on a race. Everyone is riding around like there is no tomorrow. Pedestrians barely have any right of way. Motorists will just cut you off and come inches to smacking at times. I've seen whole families stuff themselves on scooters. It's ridiculous.


And for the likes!

Food - What can I say? You can eat anything here. It's just like in SF, except cheaper, and possibly even better in quality. From Burgers, to French, to Pho, and Japanese sashimi or ramen, they've got it here. Prices are very competitive due to the neighboring businesses that are competing for customers.

Municipal System - Because of its ease of use, affordability, and the fact that English is everywhere, I've been able to go to parts of Taipei I would never attempt to go. The MRT system is truly what our MUNI underground system should be. The arrival times are very on point. The trains, clean and air conditioned. I have nothing but praise. The only downside is that, when it gets busy, the train may smell like B.O

T.V - I know I stopped watching T.V back in the States, but I love the fact that there are five designated channels that show nothing but movies all day. While I was sick, I was glued to the television for days watching movies.

That's about it. So, I guess there are more dislikes than likes thus far. Don't get me wrong, I’m loving my stay here. I just felt like sharing with you what I'm going through here.
Some of you may wonder if I'm feeling homesick. Well, just a little. I miss my family, and most of my close friends. I miss hearing English, and being able to share what's on my mind with someone. It's hard here, because I can't express certain things in Chinese because my vocab just isn't quite there yet. I feel comfortable talking to people now, but not in terms of holding a full on conversation. Not yet..

I miss being able to drive freely. I miss my stinky dog named Mickey. I miss having the internet at any given moment (smart phones, or at home). Once you've been stripped of the simple things, you realize how much more you appreciate them. Lots of people don't drive here because they can't afford it. It's hard to make a living here, especially in the city where everyone is constantly competing with each other for their jobs. It's hard to understand the concept of "taking things for granted" until you really are left with the bare essentials.

Well, Korea is my next destination starting on the 10th, up until the 24th. I won't be able to update while I'm there, but I plan on coming back with a bunch of pictures of my adventure there. Korea will be my first destination out of Taiwan. Some others on my list include Bali, Thailand, Hong Kong, and finally, Japan as my final destination point before arriving back home. 


Mickey!


Some of the final shots I took in my backyard before departing to Taiwan...


Lance giving the keys to his Evo, and letting me drive it however I wanted for a whole day. Thanks Lance!


The regulars at Goemons, and also a great network of people to know.


Kevin, me and Jerry. Last Thai meal at Baan Thai (Ning's restaurant) before departing.


Kennia, my spunky little co-worker that I've trained.


And finally, a clear shot of the City at night time I took many years ago with my Panasonic Fz-7.

6 comments:

  1. Sleeping in a mesh tent will probably solve a lot of your mosquito problems. try to find a repellent with DEET. That's the only active ingredient proven to work. Makes you invisible to them.

    Have you had job opportunities snatched from under you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really begin my job hunt until I come back from Korea! My vacation from my vacation first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's wrong with bug zappers?
    They kill beneficial insects, attract mosquitoes but don't kill them, help mosquitoes find standing water to lay their eggs, and spray insect fragments into the air. The Ultra Violet (UV) light from zappers attracts all night-flying insects. Each night zappers kill about 3,000 beneficial insects such as moths and butterflies, which pollinate flowers, but only a handful of mosquitoes.
    Catnip Shield Oil- Look it up!
    This natural mosquito insect shield contains Catnip Oil! A full 8 ounces of protection from mosquitoes and other biting insects. Our formula is based on actual research at Iowa State University, in which Catnip Oil was found to be 10 times more effective than DEET at repelling mosquitos

    The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends and where the other begins?
    -Edgar Allan Poe

    Nothing wrong with Pro's & Con's!!! Keep em coming...

    "Mr. Anonymous"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again!

    "Mr.Anonymous"

    ReplyDelete
  5. great update bo, sorry to hear about the mosquito situation, i used to have that problem, if you change your diet they will bite you less too. My G'ma and brother say they mosequitoes like me because i never eat spicy food.

    As for the pros and cons, i can't wait till you do a comparison for s dot korea!

    The food looks great. Stay healthy Bo! i hope those taiwan make up tricks aren't scaming you either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cant wait to see the pics from Korea. And your stories, of course!

    ReplyDelete