Sunday, May 9, 2010

Darlie, the toothpaste with the whitest teeth


Darlie is a brand of toothpaste sold in Taiwan that always makes me chuckle when I see it. I kind of think of the imagery as some sort of sick racist image from the early 1900's. If you follow the reference link, it takes you to a Wikipedia explanation of Darlie. Since I'm here in Taiwan, I'm going to brush my teeth exclusively with Darlie branded toothpaste. Why? Because I wake up everyday, chuckling to my stick of paste.

So I woke up again at 6am to nothingness. My stomach grumbled, and I was sure that there was nothing good to eat at this hour. Fortunately, I live right next door to a 7-11. The thing with 7-11 in Taiwan is that, they're as abundant as Starbucks is in San Francisco. Everywhere you go, you'll be sure to run into a 7-11, Family Mart, or Quicky Shop. I love the fact that I live right next to one. If I were to ever need anything, I'd just go downstairs in my flip flops with the quickness.

Anyways, I decided to go downstairs for a quick bite. Now let me explain something really fast before we move on forward. The 7-11's in Asia have real good food, at a really low price. I'm serious! I mean, you get a hot dog at 7-11 in America, and it's only decent because you're not hungry anymore. It's also a bunch of processed junk with high levels of preservatives. But the food in Asian 7-11's, at least when I look at it, appears to be freshly made or prepared by a person. So I went ahead and grabbed a lunch bowl for 60NT (a little under $2). This was considered one of the more expensive items to get. I mean, it was the lunch bowl, a sandwich for half the price, or a sushi rice ball.


Let me tell you something. This has been the best $2 dollars I've ever spent on food. This thing was perfect in terms of satisfying my hunger at this hour. It wasn't too heavy, and it didn't taste overly salted at all. Inside, there was a small egg, mixed vegetables, a piece of tofu cake, and a pork chop that measured half way across the bowl. The inner fatty in me was calling, so I went at it, and low and behold, the bowl disappeared in less than a few minutes. I wish I had a video to show you how fast I ate this thing, but I wouldn't want to shock any of you with an image of my savagery eating habits.

I'll also include two images of the block that I'm staying on (this one's for you Wayne!!). I live across the block from the "old SOGO". Why is this the old SOGO? Because "new SOGO" is a block away, and much larger as well. You can say that, I'm living in the heart of Taipei's most active area.
Old SOGO

A busy street with high activity late at night.

5 comments:

  1. Don't hate, I had a $1.50 hot dog with cheese + onions and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bo, my buddy from my last company told me the story about Darie. He's grandfather was the one who started the Darie product. Their family owns VIA Taiwan (which I used to work for). When he first told me the story of Darie I thought it was BS until he showed me it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man... Looks like you're having the time of your life suckah!!! Good stuff man! Glad you're having a good time there haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. The package featured an image that of a wide-eyed, smiling dark-skinned black male wearing a top hat, monocle and bow-tie. Because of the contrast with very dark skin, it was a common perception that the teeth of people of African descent were exceptionally white.

    Hey everybody look it's flipper the nigga hating dolphin.
    Who yall call "Rin Tin Tin" I call Racist.
    You want me to do the "Soft Shoe" or "Sand Tap" fo ya BOSS!

    Your teeth better be whiter when I see you, otherwise I'm putting toothpaste on my fist and punching you in the mouth. j/k

    Mr. Anonymous

    ReplyDelete