Saturday, May 8, 2010

Jet Lag?

Fortunately, I had my jet lag issue resolved within the same day. How? Force yourself to stay awake for as long as possible. Take a nap here and there, but nothing too long (an hour or more, and you're going to end up sleeping). The next day, I started grabbing a few things for my room. I remember a saying online in the lines of, "No pic, no care". So, here are some pictures!


This is the largest room in the apartment complex I'm staying at. It's on the highest floor (7th in this instance), and it's a bit larger than my old room in San Francisco. I've just started off with buying some new bedsheets, a new pillow, and some other misc. things. So far, the weather has been cool. Wait, no. Let me take that back. It's still stuffy, hot, and humid. I'm sweating from just standing. That's pretty bad, because back home in SF, I'd have to jog a quarter mile before I even start sweating from my head and body.

I'm noticing a trend in which I'm playing magical shirts. I've been changing T-shirts every two hours because, quite frankly, they just get soaked up with my sweat. The sweat that I've been getting from standing, doing absolutely nothing. How invigorating.

And, from what everyone has been telling me, this is considered "cool". It's about 27ºC here. I'm expecting that to jump up to around 32ºC by summer time. When that time comes, I'll probably have a bunch of shirts with me everywhere I go. Who knows, maybe this is just a phase. Maybe I'll just sweat a bunch of excessive beer weight (you read that right, it's not water weight, it's residual beer weight in my instance), and this might go away. Oh, and on average, I've been taking two to three showers a day. I assumed that my skin would get dry, but.. no. I start sweating after drying myself up. Unbelievable.

I do notice one strange thing here now.. and that is: stores are not open until about 10am-12pm. I'm talking about, cell phone stores, food chains, and even small local shops. Things close really late though, so I guess that's the flip side. Maybe I never noticed this because during my prior trips, I'd always wake up late, and I'd sleep like, ten hours or something. It's just, when I wake up at 6am, I'm just itching to get out to do something. Now, I've just been sleeping for about four hours a day (five hours at most so far). I'm maximizing my time here. I can't, and don't want to pick up my old habit of sleeping for more than ten hours a day. So far, I've been doing pretty good with three to four hours of sleep per day, and no naps in between. Sure, I look pretty cracked out by the end of the night, but I'm living off a saying that I will never forget. As inside of a joke this is, I would love to share with the world, and I quote Chef Ivan in saying, "sleeping is for the weak"!

True story.

I also stopped by my Grandma and Grandpa's place. Fortunately, I remember all the bus routes to each of my relatives addresses. My relatives were actually surprised that I remembered how to get to their place. I mean, I didn't give them any heads up that I was visiting, and the last time I was here, it was over a year ago.


That's me with Grandma and Grandpa. As you can see, they are both doing well! They are also very active in outdoor activities which include: hiking, swimming, speed walking. I say speed walking because, honestly, when my Grandma walks on the street, she walks really fast. I often have to tell her to slow down because I'm sweating bullets.

So, if you know me well enough, you should know that I LOVE eating food. I haven't exactly had the chance to eat some funky stuff yet, but I did get a chance to have a French Brunch today. The Restaurant was called 'Paul's'. The food was pretty good! The interior was really nice, and the prices were a little above average for Taiwanese food. The ingredients, supposedly, are all imported from Europe.


I had the breakfast plate with ham. The ham was cured, and thinly sliced. There was a tasty hash brown right under covered in some black things. I'm not quite sure what they were, but the taste reminded me of caviar and olives combined. My friend picked me up and treated me out. Thanks David W.! Great recommendation!


Here goes a bonus pic for all my T-Mobile people. What we have here, is an HTC Legend. Not too shabby! For reference, I've put my T-Mobile MyTouch 3G slide as a comparison for size. Oh, opps, that picture of my phone isn't supposed to be online yet! I did sign a Non Disclosure Form before receiving the phone from my Vegas award ceremony... yea right, I'm not the first person to leak it, so it's considered old news to me.


And I would have NEVER expected to catch a Bentley just cruising the streets of Taipei.

Random Section
- Mosquito bite count to date: two. One on my right elbow. One on my right ear.
- Current exchange rate: $1 = 31.5NTD (New Taiwan Dollars).

That's it for now!

3 comments:

  1. "It's about 27ºC here. I'm expecting that to jump up to around 32ºC by summer time." - OMFG!!! LOL @ "magical shirts".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it in one piece, Bo. So do you speak Taiwanese? Or are you having to learn the local dialect? lol.

    -jp (aka MBenson from 47r)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Bens! Good hearing from you. I do not speak or understand Taiwanese, but Mandarin is the main dialect here in Taiwan. I do understand and speak Mandarin.

    The sweating situation has died down a little now. But, I still change shirts a few times per day, instead of changing shirts every couple of hours!

    ReplyDelete