Monday, May 24, 2010

This one is for you Susy

Taiwanese Wax Apples! Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

The ripened fruit varies in hue and can be light pink to a dark, almost purple, red. One of the most highly prized and sought after wax apples in Taiwan are "black pearls," which are purplish-red. If it is ripe enough, the fruit will puff outwards, with the middle of the underside of the "bell shape" dented in a touch. Healthy wax apples have a light sheen to them. Despite its rather plain name, a wax apple is anything but plain. A ripe wax apple only resembles an apple on the outside in color. It doesn't taste like an apple. It has neither the fragrance nor the density of an apple. The flavor is a bit like a snow pear. The liquid to flesh ratio of the wax apple is comparable to a watermelon. It's remarkably refreshing and juicy. Unlike either apple or watermelon, the wax apple's flesh has a very loose weave. The very middle holds a seed that's situated in a sort of cotton-candy-like mesh. The mesh is edible but flavorless. The color of its juice depends on the cultivar of the fruit. As well as in its native range, it is also cultivated in tropical regions such as Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand, Bangladesh, Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka. A number of cultivars with larger fruit have been selected. In general, the paler or darker the color is, the sweeter it is. In South East Asia, the black ones are nicknamed "Black Pearl" or "Black Diamond," while the very pale greenish white ones are called "Pearl." They are among the highest priced ones in fruit markets.

And yes, they are THAT delicious.

6 comments:

  1. LOL, epic, you drunk eat and run ALL the time. hilarious. i love apples.. was it cheap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is cheap here. I got a stack of these for free from my relatives. I think you can buy a whole box (maybe 10-15lbs) worth for probably $8-10usd.

    Yea man, everyone drinks out here. I think the legal age to drink is 18.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i lovvveee those!! they have them in thailand too! i think they are called "champuu" or something. ahhh so good! i hope those are year round cuz i'm gonna eat them up when i come visit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bo! Thanks for updating just for me, muhahahaha. I just remembered that I think I had them in Vietnam. Ahhhhh I can't believe you actually forgot it for awhile.
    And yes, they really are that delicious from what I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. woo hooo! I hope they're year round too because I can eat these all day, everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next time I'm gonna want me some Cocktail... Fruit!!! And maybe that newspaper with the Sprite ad cause I'm trying to "Obey My Thirst"! Stay thirsty my friend.

    "Mr. Anonymous"

    ReplyDelete